So i finally got to bed last night at just before midnight and my head was buzzing with ideas and thoughts on what lies ahead over the next 29 days. But first to the serious business of laying out what I actually need to do to get my podcast launched.
The Big Podcast To Do List
- Review equipment – I have a microphone – is it good enough?
- Do I need another one? Which one is best?
- Do I need a mixer, if so which one and why?
- What do I need to record on/in to? A portable digital recorder or straight to my PC?
- Website – I am fortunate I have the basics of a website set up as I’m creating these posts on it.
- Unfortunately I’m not too keen on the theme. I have an idea of the colour scheme I want to go with but will be looking to change the theme. In fact I might even set-up a separate website for the podcast. That’s one I need to think about
- Hosting – which service am I going to host my podcast on.
- I have heard and read about many. Spreaker, Libsyn, Soundcloud, Blubrry? I’ll need to look into these and let you know my thoughts as I make my decision. From what I understand this is a biggy.
- Logo – need to get a good logo produced and artwork for uploading with my podcast.
- where do I go, how much will it cost? I’m on a really tight budget so I’ll have to choose wisely here.
- Content – can’t get any further down the list without thinking about what I’m actually going to talk about.
- I really want to launch with at least 3 episodes in the bag so that listeners have more of a reason to subscribe when they start to listen (hopefully i’ll get some listeners at the end of this process).
- Photography – I believe it’s important for my listeners to be able to discover more about me and if they want see who I am.
- As podcasting is much more on a one to one level I will be looking to start the process of developing my personal brand at the same time as creating the podcast.
- I don’t want to get too far down the line on the podcast only to find that there is a disconnect between it and my personal brand direction and that I have to do some major overhaul.
- I think this could have been one of the big worries that was originally holding me back – that and the fact I don’t think my voice sounds that interesting. (Now there’s a whole other issue to deal with).
- Headphones – Now this one might sound silly but do I need a set?
- Most of the images I see of podcasters they are wearing full over-ear headphones – do I need to add some to my equipment list?
- Mailing list – what email list creation software should I use.
- From all the “experts” I have listened to over the past few months most of them have said if there is one thing they would have done sooner is start to build their email list. So I intend to have this set-up from the get-go.
- Intro’s and Outro’s – should I get them professionally done or try and do them myself.
- Do I need them to start with? If I do try myself what are the issues with using music clips etc and where do I get them?
Wow that’s a pretty big list of things to be thinking about and getting on with. Have I missed anything vitally important. If you have spotted something that is glaringly missing from my list please let me know in the comments box below.
Tomorrow I start taking action on this list. Join me then.